June 21, 2015

Ortiz's Ejection By Incompetent Umpire Bruce Dreckman

David Ortiz was ejected in Saturday night's loss to Kansas City after hitting a single in the seventh inning. Home plate umpire Bruce Dreckman tossed Ortiz when the Boston DH was on first base.

After the game, Ortiz said:
All I have to say is that this situation between players and umpires is getting to a ridiculous point. ... I'm an 18-year veteran in this league and when I was coming up it seems like you deserve respect because of that. But it seems like it doesn't work that way anymore. ...

You call two bad pitches on a guy that throws 100, what do you want me to do? It was pretty obvious that those two pitches were pretty bad. Not only that, I look at you, you look at me, and I tell you the guy doesn't need help and you keep giving me signals. I finally give up on you and you throw me out of the game for that? ... I want to see what the commissioner and everybody is going to tell me about because it seems like every time we are the bad guy. I don't feel like I did anything wrong. ...

I just keep on telling him that the guy on the mound doesn't need any help. The guy throws 100 mph. If you look at the video, that's all I say, he don't need no help.
And what about those two pitches that upset Ortiz?

These were the pitches in that at-bat, according to pitch f/x data at Brooks Baseball:

No comments: