June 28, 2015

G77: Red Sox 5, Rays 3

Red Sox - 020 201 000 - 5  8  1
Rays    - 000 010 200 - 3 10  0
One day after the Rays topped the Red Sox with three home runs, Boston turned the tables on Tampa Bay with three dongs of their own. Pablo Sandoval and Alejandro De Aza both went deep in the second inning, and David Ortiz cracked a two-run shot in the fourth.

Justin Masterson (5-5-1-0-6, 84) allowed only an unearned run in outpitching Chris Archer (6-5-5-1-10, 107).

The first two Rays reached base against Alexi Ogando in the sixth, but he got the next three outs. Jonathan Aro gave up two runs in the seventh, allowing Tampa Bay to cut the lead to 5-3. In the eighth, Junichi Tazawa plunked Logan Forsythe with a pitch. After two strikeouts, Tazawa wild pitched the runner to second, then got an inning-ending grounder.

Koji Uehara allowed a two-out double to Grady Sizemore in the ninth, which brought Evan Longoria to the plate as the potential tying run. A wild pitch put Sizemore on third before Longoria flew out to right.

Xander Bogaerts had two hits and scored twice. Both Ortiz and Sandoval knocked in two runs.
Example
Justin Masterson / Chris Archer

In his last nine starts, Archer has a 1.61 ERA.

Masterson is making his first start since May 12.
Betts, CF
Holt, 2B
Bogaerts, SS
Ortiz, DH
Sandoval, 3B
Napoli, 1B
De Aza, LF
Swihart, C
Bradley, RF

4 comments:

Maxwell Horse said...

Post game interviews with Farrell and Napoli indicate that Napoli was thrown out for no apparent reason. Given how quick the ump's trigger was, and the incredulous way Nap reacted when ejected, I can believe it.

allan said...

Napoli:
"First of all, it was a ball. I thought I walked. That's why I dropped my bat. And I had a conversation with him, told him I thought it was a ball. He said it was a good pitch, so I started taking off my batting gloves and started walking back toward the dugout. He told me I forgot my bat. I stopped a little bit, and [then] he told me to come back and pick up the bat. I pointed at the bat boy, who picks up our bats, and he tossed me. So then, when he tossed me, I told him how I felt. ... I was walking away, I was going back to the dugout, and he was telling me to come back and pick up my bat when it was over. It's kind of embarrassing [for umpire Tripp Gibson]. I don't know how you can throw someone out for that. I'm not trying to get thrown out in the second inning. We have a short bench."

allan said...

Links: WEEI, ESPN

allan said...

According to Brooks' pitch f/x data, the ball was just barely in the lower outside corner of the zone.