May 19, 2014

The 2013 WS Champs Remember The 2004 WS Champs

During our work on "Don't Let Us Win Tonight", my co-author Bill Nowlin spoke to many of the 2013 Red Sox and asked them what they remembered about watching the 2004 post-season, nine years earlier.

We had several ideas for "extras" to add to the back of the book, and this was one of them. It didn't work out - mainly because we had so much from the 2004 players to use - but Bill recently posted the memories to his own blog, Boston Ball.

Jon Lester pitched for the Sarasota Red Sox (Florida State League) in 2004. He was 20 years old:
I came to Game Three up here against the Yankees. The bad one. I was just kind of thinking they were pretty outmatched. Obviously, being part of the organization you watch them. I followed them a little bit, but I was probably like 99 percent of the country, saying, "The Yankees are going to another World Series." But once they came back, I figured it would be over. ... I figured once they got to the World Series, it was going to be pretty easy for them.

3 comments:

Jere said...

"I think pretty much everyone knew whoever won that ALCS was going to win the World Series." --Lackey

Unless my memory just invented this, I feel like Denis Leary did the intro to that ALCS, and after talking about the rivalry for a bit, he then said how in the end it doesn't really matter who wins because nobody's beating the Cardinals.

And Aceves, Uehara, and Victorino, jeez, it's like they were asked about a sport played on a different planet or something.

Michael said...

And Clay is a Jeter fanboy. Great.

laura k said...

We had several ideas for "extras" to add to the back of the book, and this was one of them. It didn't work out

You dodged a bullet! Good blog material. Useless book material.

Are you adding things like this to the book website, too?