February 22, 2014

Lucchino, Levine Exchange Comments; Yankees Sound Pathetic

The Daily News calls it a "war of words", but it was barely a skirmish.

Red Sox President and CEO Larry Lucchino made some fairly bland (and factual) statements yesterday about the Yankees:
We're very different animals. I'm proud of that difference. I always cringe when people lump us together. Other baseball teams sometimes do that. They are still, this year at least, relying heavily on their inimitable old-fashioned Yankees style of high-priced, long-term free agents. I can't say I wish them well, but I think we've taken a different approach.
Naturally, Yankees President Randy Levine replied:
I feel bad for Larry; he constantly sees ghosts and is spooked by the Yankees. But I can understand why, because under his and Bobby Valentine's plan two years ago, the Red Sox were in last place. Ben Cherington and the Red Sox did a great job last year winning the World Series, but I'm confident Cash and Joe and our players will compete with a great Red Sox team to win a world championship this year.
Lucchino sure loves to poke a stick in the Yankees' side. And whoever it is in New York - George, Hank, or Levine - always takes it way too seriously and makes a fool of himself, to some degree. I mean, invoking 2012 after the Red Sox got their shit back together as an organization and calmly won a World Series? All you can do is laugh at how sad that retort is.
Example
Meanwhile, the Yankees seem to think they will have a great season ...


No comments: