November 4, 2011

Sox Make No Offer To Ortiz During Exclusive Negotiating Period

The Red Sox did not make a contract offer to free agent DH David Ortiz while the team had exclusive negotiating rights. Flo can now speak with any of the other 13 American League teams (assuming no NL team will sign him to play first base).
I was expecting something would happen before [the exclusive negotiating period ran out], but so many things are going on. I know everybody has priorities, and to be honest with you, I thought I was one of them. ... I'm so used to knowing where I'm going to be the following year, but now seeing things go this way . . . To be honest with you, it doesn't matter where I go, I'm just going to try to be the same and do what I normally do. Workout the way a lot of people expect. I'll just have to listen to somebody else.
Any whining about how important Ortiz believes he is to the team - whether or not it's true - is not a smart move. (And it doesn't matter where he plays next year?!?)

In 2011, Ortiz slapped down the people (like me) who thought he was at the end of his career. Tiz had his best season at the plate in four years: his highest batting, slugging, and on-base averages, as well as the most hits, doubles, and total bases since 2007. But he will celebrate his 36th birthday on November 18 - and some decline would not be unexpected.

The Red Sox probably have a very good idea what the AL DH market is and are content to have Ortiz see for himself what the landscape looks like before presenting an offer.

Ortiz earned $12.5 million last year, and is hoping for a three-year contract. Ideally, Ortiz and Cherington agree on a 2/25 deal. I'm not ready to say good-bye to the Big Cat.

3 comments:

FenFan said...

Found a list of free agents currently available at B-R.com (what don't they have?):

http://www.baseball-reference.com/friv/2011-free-agents.shtml

It's interesting that the only position player I saw who has played primarily as a DH during his career is Ortiz. I wonder if the Sox are looking at the fact that Flo doesn't have much to offer at first (or any other position) and maybe they can get a less-expensive option that can take the field when the Sox visit a National League foe.

Just the same, yeah, I'm not ready to say "adios" to the Large Father.

hrstrat57 said...

I think this is a good play by the sawx.

We'll see how it goes.

Zenslinger said...

Ideally, Ortiz and Cherington agree on a 2/25 dea

Even that seems like a shitload to me.