January 4, 2011

Sneeze

Peter Fletcher has kept a record of his sneezes since July 12, 2007.
Each sneeze has its own entry, including the time and date, location, strength and, with very few exceptions, a comment. ...

Once I had been counting sneezes for a short time, I became disturbed when I saw someone sneeze, and then not look closely at their watch or mobile phone and take out and write something illegible in a notebook. Witnessing people sneeze and then not record it has come to feel unsettling and wrong, as if they are losing the sneeze, letting it go to waste. ...
You can observe Fred Ott sneezing way back in 1894. The five-second clip, shot by an employee of Thomas Edison, is apparently the first motion picture to be copyrighted in the United States.

6 comments:

FenFan said...

Happens every time I take a pinch of snuff

laura k said...

It's always good to read about people more obsessive than me. Or you.

nick said...

That's pretty great. I spent my lunch reading about someone else's sneezes.

A few minutes ago my office-mate sneezed and announced the time and what he was doing.

thanks!

Jere said...

Side note confession: Until a few days ago, I always thought FenFan's avatar was an upside down action photo of Dennis Rodman in a Bulls jersey. I don't know why I never questioned my brain on that one until now. Is that more or less weird than recording one's sneezes?

laura k said...

I just got a text from Amy: she saw Tek walk by on the beach!!!

FenFan said...

Side note confession: Until a few days ago, I always thought FenFan's avatar was an upside down action photo of Dennis Rodman in a Bulls jersey. I don't know why I never questioned my brain on that one until now. Is that more or less weird than recording one's sneezes?

Far less weird. :-)

Of course, now that you've said that, I can see why! Haha!