November 17, 2010

Managers of the Year

Ron Gardenhire and Bud Black were voted Managers of the Year by the BBWAA.

American League
                             1st  2nd  3rd   Pts
1. Ron Gardenhire, Twins 16 8 4 108
2. Ron Washington, Rangers 10 8 7 81
3. Joe Maddon, Rays 1 10 9 44
4. Terry Francona, Red Sox 2 7 15
5. Cito Gaston, Blue Jays 1 5
6. Joe Girardi, Yankees 1 1
Gardenhire finished third in the voting in 2002 and then was named the runner-up in 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, and 2009. ... Dept. of WTF: Gaston's first place vote was his only appearance on any ballot.

National League
                             1st  2nd  3rd   Pts
1. Bud Black, Padres 16 7 3 104
2. Dusty Baker, Reds 13 12 2 103
3. Bruce Bochy, Giants 1 4 13 30
4. Bobby Cox, Atlanta 1 4 11 28
5. Charlie Manuel, Phillies 1 4 3 20
6. Brad Mills, Astros 1 3
How six voters could completely ignore Black is incomprehensible (though not as insane as thinking Cito was the best AL manager in 2010).

The winners of the BBA's Connie Mack Award were:

American League
                           1st votes  Pts
1. Ron Washington, Rangers 10 74
2. Ron Gardenhire, Twins 7 67
3. Joe Maddon, Rays 4 35
4. Terry Francona, Red Sox 3 20
5. Cito Gaston, Blue Jays 9
6. Buck Showalter, Orioles 9
7. Joe Girardi, Yankees 2
National League
                           1st votes  Pts
1. Bud Black, Padres 9 53
2. Dusty Baker, Reds 7 51
3. Bobby Cox, Atlanta 2 33
4. Bruce Bochy, Giants 3 29
5. Charlie Manuel, Phillies 1 27
6. Brad Mills, Astros 3
7. Mike Quade, Cubs 2
My AL ballot:
1. Terry Francona, Red Sox
2. Ron Gardenhire, Twins
3. Joe Maddon, Rays

10 comments:

Jon said...

I agree with your AL ballot. It's amazing how Francona kept the Sox in the race this year.

This is my first time posting here, I believe. I've lurked here on and off for some time; probably since I read your book on 1918. I used it to do research on George Whiteman for Bill Nowlin's book.

laura k said...

Dept. of WTF: Gaston's first place vote was his only appearance on any ballot.

Clearly his mother.

probably since I read your book on 1918. I used it to do research on George Whiteman for Bill Nowlin's book.

Yay!

FenFan said...

Also agree with your ballot. Given the rash of injuries suffer by Boston starters this season, I thought Francona did a bang-up job guiding this team. I was surprised to see that Gardenhire had never won the award but, yes, it's true!

FenFan said...

Clearly his mother.

Coke Zero shot through my nose there - thanks a lot! :-)

Jere said...

I thought everyone had decided Tito was a main candidate. Then I saw mlb.com's article about the "top 3" likely candidates, and Tito wasn't included. Then the results come out, and those three are the top three. I think they knew the results ahead of time when they wrote that. Or I'm just bitter--Tito deserved a mention in that article if not the award itself.

allan said...

I have put the complete votings results in all of these posts.

allan said...

Maybe Cito was the reason they hit all those home runs?

Amy said...

I cast another vote for Francona. But then...are we objective? :)

RedSoxDiehard said...

Seriously, what's Tito got to do to get some love?

Michael Holloway said...

How Cito manages every team he's asked to manage fit really well with this years team.

Alex Anthopoulos General Manager of the Year!