September 19, 2010

G149: Red Sox 6, Blue Jays 0

Blue Jays - 000 000 000 - 0  5  1
Red Sox - 000 150 00x - 6 9 0
Lester (7-4-0-4-4, 112) was brilliant -- though he did escape two bases-loaded jams, in the third and fifth -- and Victor Martinez got the Sox on the board with a solo dong in the fourth.

Boston opened the fifth with four straight hits (Jed Lowrie, Bill Hall, Daniel Nava, and Yamaico Navarro) and J.D. Drew capped the scoring with a two-run homer.

The Orioles beat the Yankees 4-3 in 11 and the Angels beat the Rays 6-3.
Example
Shaun Marcum / Jon Lester
Kalish, CF
Drew, RF
Martinez, C
Ortiz, DH
Lowell, 1B
Lowrie, SS
Hall, 2B
Nava, LF
Navarro, 3B
Adrian Beltre was taken to Mass General this morning to have his left wrist examined.

Yarrrr. Make these scurvy dogs walk the plank!AL East, 1:30 PM:
Yankees/Orioles
Angels/Rays
Example
September 19:

1945 - The Red Sox sweep a doubleheader from Philadelphia 11-10 and 3-0. In the top of the third inning of Game 1, Boston CF Tommy McBride mistakes a pigeon for the ball and Sam Chapman's double bangs off the Wall about 30 feet away. In the bottom of the inning, Skeeter Newsome doubles and A's RF Hal Peck's throw into the infield kills the pigeon. (However, redsox.com states that while the bird was hit with the ball, it was not seriously harmed. I wonder if McBride's "I thought it was the ball" incident is also not quite true.))

1972 - Oakland uses 30 players, including six second basemen and 10 pinch-hitters, in an 8-7, 15-inning loss to the White Sox.

21 comments:

Zenslinger said...

I admit the NL has been getting some of my attention lately. But I hope we can finish out the season stronger than the last couple of games.

Close adherence to the spirit of Talk Like a Pirate Day would be difficult / hilarious as a teacher. I have contemplated going full on with this in the past, but find that I need more pirate-y expressions.

allan said...

McCoy, LF
Escobar, SS
Bautista, RF
Wells, CF
Overbay, 1B
Buck, C
Encarnacion, 3B
Arencibia, DH
McDonald, 2B

"You have a woman's lineup!!!"

"I'm a doctor, Jim, not a left fielder!!"

Zenslinger said...

Bautista is the real deal, I guess. Hope he doesn't prove it with a GS here.

laura k said...

find that I need more pirate-y expressions

That's my problem too. I thought I'd write a whole blog post in pirate talk. Failed.

Zenslinger said...

Yay. No GS.

I'm going to a Giants game on Oct 2...the penultimate game of the season and against the Padres to boot. Should be exciting.

Zenslinger said...

I'm all right with the accent, but I find when I run out of stuff to say I just end up saying very dirty things in the accent. And that could be hard at any job on a weekday. Teaching under tenure review...mmmph. I reckon I can be excused from tomorrow's activities.

allan said...

ATTENTION: CLEAN UP IN AISLE 4!!!

allan said...

Yarrr, Cap'n Jon earned his pieces o' eight in sending those sprogs and scallywags to Davy Jones' locker!. A toast of me grog to the lefty buccaneer!

allan said...

This inning is good.

allan said...

That boy, I say, that boy is on far'!

SoSock said...

Wow, looks like I missed the fireworks.

allan said...

BBI to Navarro?!?!?!

allan said...

FWIW:

MFY - 100 20
BAL - 100 00

LAA - 100 31
FKR - 010 0

SoSock said...

Well, Kalish validated their decision. But I gotta wonder - with 2 outs ???

allan said...

Hey! The water is Muddy!!!

allan said...

Orioles tied it in the bottom of the 9th -- Luke Scott hit Fruitbat's 2nd pitch for a dong!

Bottom of the 10th now.

SoSock said...

YAY!
And Extra Hooray for naps!
Especially when you wake up to find dirty water AND a blown fruitbat on your monitor. Wait.........

allan said...

a blown fruitbat on your monitor

Yeah, how about not sharing the link for that one!

allan said...

Scott starts the Orioles 11th with a double.

allan said...

And Wigginton singles him in

O's win!!!

allan said...

For the completists:

MFY - 100 200 000 00 - 3 8 0
BAL - 100 000 011 01 - 4 10 1

LAA - 100 310 100 - 6 9 0
FKR - 010 000 011 - 3 9 0

East: 7 GB NY
WC: 6.5 GB TB
Games Left: 13 (6 w/NY)