March 9, 2008

Manny Has A Secret; Dustin Has A Watch

In the middle of last season, Manny Ramirez told Dustin Pedroia that if he won the Rookie of the Year award, he'd buy him a watch. On Saturday, Manny presented Pedroia with a Rolex.

Manny called DP
a great kid with a great heart. I love him. He's got a great personality and I don't care what he does on the field because, as a person, he's such a great guy. You can talk to him and he's always happy and working hard. ... If he hits .300 this year, I'll give him something else. I want him to keep it going.
Ramirez has been reading Rhonda Byrne's self-motivational bestseller "The Secret" in the clubhouse, highlighting various passages. ... From Publishers Weekly, via Amazon:
Supporters will hail this New Age self-help book on the law of attraction as a groundbreaking and life-changing work, finding validation in its thesis that one's positive thoughts are powerful magnets that attract wealth, health, happiness ... and did we mention wealth? Detractors will be appalled by this as well as when the book argues that fleeting negative thoughts are powerful enough to create terminal illness, poverty and even widespread disasters.

4 comments:

Benjamin said...

Does this mean I can't make fun of A-Rod for embracing new-age psychobabble without being a hypocrite? Because I'd really like to get to keep doing that.

laura k said...

Oh no, it doesn't mean that.

Signed,

The Hypocrisy Adjudicator

Benjamin said...

Phew.

sugarshane024 said...

Are you sure Manny's comment didn't go something like this:

"a great kid with a great heart, mang. Me love him. He got a goot personality, joo know, and I don't care what he does on the field because, as a mang, hees such a goot guy. You can talk to him and he's always happy, mang, and working hard. ... If he hits .300 this year, I'll give him something else, like one of my grillz that I sell on eBay. I want him to keep it going."