July 23, 2006

Sunday Quotes & Cool Linescores

Mike Lowell says he was told by Terry Francona that the trade rumours involving him and Jake Peavy were bogus. Lowell said he'd make that trade.
I love the trade deadline. I don't know if it's coming up through the Yankee system where once you became a prospect you were linked to every single trade to mankind. I was linked to trades in '03 and last year. It was like a downgrade from all the trades I was involved with in the minor leagues. I was traded like 50 times.
Jason Varitek believes in Kyle Snyder:
I think he can help us. I just like his demeanor and what he has to offer. He gives you a lot of options. ... He opened my eyes with his first start. I was hoping he was going to make another start and then we went another route. Nothing against the person we went with [Jason Johnson] but [Snyder] has done a very good job for us.
Kason Gabbard:
You have a lot of thoughts in the back of your head. They really didn't tell me much [before Friday]. I don't think it's hit me yet. It still hasn't hit me, even though the game's over. I don't know. It's just different being up here.
Jon Lester:
He held his face very well. You couldn't tell that he was nervous or out of synch. He held his composure very well, threw the ball excellent, kept us in the ballgame.
Curt Schilling predicts that if Theo Epstein makes a deal for a pitcher, it will probably be for a fourth- or fifth-type starter rather than a front-line pitcher:
I know he's got a bunch of things going. But [to get a] front-line [pitcher] you'd have to give up players who contribute right now. I think if he does anything, it will be for a 4-5 guy. ... Everybody's made a big deal of [Boston's] No. 5 guy. I don't think we have any more of a situation or a problem than anybody else does. As we're comprised now, if nothing happens, this team can win the World Series.
The Red Sox have used 24 pitchers so far this season, including nine rookies. The club record (set three times, most recently in 2005), is 26. ... As of Friday, Manny Delcarmen's ERA in save situations is 0.79, 4.34 in non-save situations. Kevin Youkilis is batting .364 against LHP with runners in scoring position; the rest of the team is batting a collective .191.

From last night: Wow.
Bal - 300  0 00  900 - 12 22 0
TB - 000 0103 00x - 13 17 0
It was only the fourth game in major league history in which each team posted an inning of nine-or-more runs. The last time: June 3, 1933, at Yankee Stadium, when the Philadelphia Athletics scored 11 runs in the third and the Yankees came back with 10 in the fifth and won 17-11.

I also wanted to post this minor league linescore from July 20 (26 innings!):
Oneonta  000 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 05 - 6 20 2
Brooklyn 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 00 - 1 14 5
From the Globe's notebook: "Francona said he wanted to try and stay away from using Manny Delcarmen and Craig Hansen yesterday, Delcarmen having pitched in back-to-back games, including 1.1 innings here Friday, and Hansen having thrown 30 pitches in a 1.2 inning stint Friday." ... [bangs head on desk]

No comments: