November 16, 2005

A Dark Day

We will say goodbye to our Buster later this morning.



Laura found him in mid-December 1999, abandoned in a pouring winter rain, very sick and likely only a day or two away from a lonely and horrible death on the street.

We took him in -- nursed him back to health, and gave him almost six years of love and life. ... And he repaid us at least ten-fold. (Plus he got to see the Red Sox win it all!)

It was a very tough decision, but we know it's the best thing we can do, for him, under the circumstances.

So long, B ... Say hi to Gypsy and Clyde.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your good little dog. This is a sad time. Reminds me of this short piece by Gord Atkinson...

http://www.reallivepreacher.com/node/114

DanM said...

Peace my friend. Your loss reminds me of the passing of my cat, Gato. Travel gently.
Dan

Anonymous said...

So very sorry, Allan. People who don't have dogs in their family often can't understand the depth of this kind of loss, or the courage and love it requires for you to help a loyal and loving friend escape pain and sickness he can't understand. Our Jack Russell terrier Dickens died a year ago (he actually bayed for the first time in his life when Billy Hatcher hit a home run for the Sox to beat the Eck in the 9th!!!) and it still hurts every day. Remember the good times.

From the Vined Smithy said...

So very, very sorry, sir. Some of my cats' deaths (especially the ones where I had to say goodbye in the vet's office) have really broken my heart, so I know a lot of where you're coming from. You gave him years of joy and comfort he would never have had.

allan said...

thanks everybody.

i can't imagine not being there at the end. especially with buster.

he was sedated, but it was supremely important that his last memories be of us holding him.

laura k said...

Thanks from me too, everybody.

Jack Marshall, we have something in common after all. I'm sorry about Dickens.