March 13, 2005

Saturday Debuts

David Wells, Bill Mueller and Keith Foulke.

Wells: Threw 28 pitches in two innings against Tampa Bay. Allowed four hits and two runs (one earned), no walks, no strikeouts, one wild pitch. Boston lost 6-4. Wells threw six pitches in the first and the two runs in the second were not entirely his fault. A windblown triple and a grounder scored one and the second crossed on an error. ... Seeing his #3 uniform, some fans called out "Jody Reed." ... Wells says he needs only 12-15 innings of work this spring; he'll start on Thursday.

Mueller: It was his error (handcuffed on a high, hard chopper on the line) that led to the Devil Rays's second run, but the Professional was happy with his afternoon. He played three innings, went 1-for-2 and scored a run. Tito: "Billy was like a little kid. He was in full uniform by 8:30 (am)."

Foulke: Relieved Wells, threw 14 pitches (nine strikes) for a perfect third inning (including one K). Foulke thinks he'll now pitch "every other day or every third day."

Others: David Ortiz has been icing his right shoulder after every game. He injured it when he was moronically waived home by Dale Sveum last August. ... Curt Schilling will have a side session Monday, then throw about 60 pitches against hitters on Wednesday. It seems all but certain he will not pitch Opening Day. ... Jay Payton is 7-for-12 (.583). ... Boston's next home game will be Wednesday against the Cardinals.

Howard Bryant talked to Nomar: "I was so happy for those guys. And I couldn't tell you how I felt when the guy calls me and asked me for my ring size. ... I got all excited, because I didn't even know my ring size. ... I'm watching the Red Sox, and these guys are my boys, too. Pedro and D-Lowe. When they were down, 3-0, to the Yankees, I told my friends that if the Yankees didn't sweep, the Sox were going to win it. They said, 'How can you predict that?' and I said, Because I know my boys.'"

Three losses:
Friday
Red Sox     210 000 000 - 3  9  3
Blue Jays 030 001 21x - 7 13 0
Saturday
Devil Rays  020 100 012 - 6 10  1  
Red Sox 013 000 000 - 4 10 1
Sunday
Red Sox     001 100 000 - 2  8  0
Twins 120 001 00x - 4 11 1
Matt Clement allowed three runs and seven hits in four innings today; he did not walk anyone and struck out five.

No comments: