June 30, 2004

Tito. According to the Herald's Steve Buckley, the first question posed to Terry Francona after last night's game was: Were you embarrassed by all this? Tito: "I would never say that. Ever. I love these guys. I think we're going to find a way to be a very good team. I also think we have to improve. I think we're going to do that." ... And when asked about why he is sticking with Millar, he said: "I think it's my job, my responsibility, to stand behind guys. I ask them to show up every day and try as best they can to be as good a player as they can be. It doesn't always work out perfectly, but if I bail on them, I don't agree with that."

Dirt Dog calls him Francoma. To me, his blather sounds downright Gumpian. ... Bill Mueller went 2-for-4 with an RBI for Pawtucket last night; Ellis Burks did not play. ... Mark Bellhorn could see some time at first base after Mueller returns. He started 7 games there for the Cubs in 2002. ... Byung Hyun Kim is scheduled to make his third outing for Pawtucket today.

Kevin Kernan, New York Post: "The Red Sox always seem to be chasing the Yankees ... The Red Sox have only wild card aspirations now. If they keep playing the way they've been playing, even those dreams will be shattered. ... Perhaps young GM Theo Epstein is learning that all knowledge cannot be derived from reading the complete works of Bill James with a Moneyball chaser." ... In the words of Dick Cheney -- who was roundly booed during "God Bless America" at Yankee Stadium last night -- "Go fuck yourself!"

No comments: